Connect with us

news

FG tells Nigerians to prepare for a possible second wave

Published

on

The federal government has raised the fears that Nigeria could be entering a second wave in the spread of the COVID-19 virus following the rise in the number of cases.

Osagie Ehanire, minister of health, said he had directed isolation and treatment centres in the country to prepare for reopening over the new development, The Cable reported.

The minister speaking at a COVID-19 briefing on Thursday, December 10, disclosed that Nigeria may be on the verge of a second wave judging by the increase in the number of confirmed cases in the last few days.

He said: “In the past 24 hours, 474 new confirmed cases and 2 deaths were recorded, with an indication that this week’s figure will beat last week’s.

As at today, we have crossed 70,000 mark with a total of 70,669 confirmed cases of which 65,242 have been treated and discharged.

Sadly the number of deaths has now reached 1184 as against 1,167 two weeks before.”

Ehanire told Nigerians to prepare for a possible second wave. According to him, citizens must take preventive measures to prevent the explosive spread of the infection in the country.

Meanwhile, the Kaduna state governor, Nasir El-Rufai has raised the possibility of imposing another lockdown if the COVID-19 surge in the state continues.

El-Rufai made the statement on Wednesday, December 9, when he raised concerns over the increasing number of cases in Kaduna, Daily Trust reported.

The governor said measures need to be taken to contain the spread of the virus in order to prevent the state’s health system from being overwhelmed by the disease.

Continue Reading

news

FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (Full List)

Published

on


In its bid to ensure the regular maintenance of its road network across Nigeria, the Federal Ministry of Works and Housing plans to concession no fewer than 12 federal highways to private entities to manage.

The arrangement would enable the private companies to introduce toll gates on the 12 highways and collect revenue which they would use and regularly maintain such roads.

This information is contained in a document, which Vanguard obtained, yesterday, from the Federal Ministry of Works and Housing in Abuja.

The 12 highways to be concessioned under the Ministry’s “Highway Management Development Initiative”, HMDI, are: Benin-Asaba, Abuja-Lokoja, Kano-Katsina, Onitsha-Owerri, Shagamu-Benin and Abuja-Keffi-Akwanga.

Others are: Kano-Shuari, Potiskum-Damaturu, Lokoja-Benin, Enugu-Port Harcourt, Ilorin-Jebba, Lagos-Ota-Abeokuta and Lagos-Badagry-Seme Border.

Continue Reading

news

Again, Elon Musk Becomes the Richest Man In the World

Published

on

Just days after Jeff Bezos was named as the richest man in the world, another businessman has overtaken him to reclaim the position.

Elon Musk became the richest man in the world on Friday.

The Tesla chief’s wealth surged to $200 billion after the rocket company, SpaceX he founded completed another funding round, pushing him atop the Bloomberg Billionaires Index for the second time in 2021.

He moved past, Amazon’s founder Jeff Bezos, who is now worth $194 billion and had some days ago earlier reclaimed the title as the world’s richest person this week after Tesla shares plunged.

Recent reports suggest SpaceX raised another $850 million this month from a group of leading institutional investors led by Sequoia Capital.

Such investment now puts SpaceX’s valuation at $74 billion, a 60% jump from August, and helped boost Musk’s net worth by about $11 billion, according to the index.

 

November 15, 2016, filing with the Federal Communications Commission revealed the tech billionaire owned 54% of SpaceX.

Although Bloomberg’s analysis assumes he hasn’t sold his shares in subsequent rounds and that his stake has been diluted to about 47% in proportion to the amount raised. The value is reduced by 15% to account for typical discounts that shares in unicorns attract on the secondary market, according to two brokers.

Continue Reading

news

All markets in Lagos has been ordered to be closed

Published

on

The order was given by the Iyaloja-General, Chief Folashade Tinubu-Ojo as a sign of respect for the former Lagos state Governor, late Alhaji Lateef Jakande.

Chief Tinubu-Ojo told The Nation that the first civilian governor of Lagos state deserved more than that for his giant strides.

She said it was a mark of respect and solidarity in honour of the deceased.

“We are shutting down all markets tomorrow (today) to mourn our father. We all know he was the former governor of Lagos, who dedicated his time to develop the state, and dedicating a day in his honour is a good thing,” she said.

Confirming the directive, Chief Executive Officer of Bolswot Ventures at Oshodi Market, Alhaja Bola Olufowobi, said the Iyaloja-General’s initiative was a welcome idea.

The late Jakande, she said, deserved the honour.

“He was a good man. We are happy with the directive,” she said.

Most street traders around the Idimu axis were not aware, but Madam Beatrice, at Ikotun market, said an announcer went round the market to announce the closure.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.